Home automation enthusiasts can now use Mayhem, a Windows application developed by Microsoft Research, to control INSTEON devices.
IRVINE, CA. - Home automation enthusiasts, developers and aspiring hackers, rejoice! INSTEON has some exciting news for anyone who's ever wanted to create the ultimate smart home…of the future! Thanks to Mayhem-the ultimate open-source, custom-control coding platform-our intrepid team of software engineers set to pounding the keyboards.
In case you haven't heard, Mayhem is a Windows application developed by Microsoft Research-and generously donated to Outercurve-that allows users to connect and control different devices through customized chains of command between "events" and "reactions." Want to launch a favorite website with a voice command? Use Mayhem to set up a microphone and keyword (event) and type in the web address (reaction). Downloadable packages expand Mayhem's capabilities to include smartphones, consoles, applications and more.
During development, INSTEON proved to be a perfect Mayhem match. "INSTEON's simple programming interface was a very obvious 'must have' for Mayhem," said Paul Dietz, a researcher at Microsoft. "With INSTEON support, Mayhem now has access to an amazingly rich variety of home automation devices."
On that note, we're proud to announce that free INSTEON packages for Mayhem are available to download. We provide the code; you just plug in the possibilities!
So, just what can you do with the dynamic duo of Mayhem and INSTEON? Well, what can't you do? When Mayhem's sleek interface meets INSTEON's legendarily reliable remote control, the scenarios are literally endless:
• Secret passwords aren't just for 007 anymore. Whisper "the narwhal bacons at midnight" to access your own private lair-or unlock the front door.
• Date night at home gets a technological makeover. Tap a KeypadLinc button and launch iTunes (although the romantic playlist is up to you) along with the obligatory dimmed-light ambience.
• Point an INSTEON motion sensor at your couch. When it detects your cat/dog/pet of choice jumping up, your computer can yell in your stead. Also works great on kids!
• If your home office gets a little stifling in the summer, turn on the A/C via your INSTEON thermostat with a fittingly cool password. (See what we did there?)
• Wireless keyboards are so 2011. Impress everyone by controlling your latest PowerPoint presentation from an INSTEON remote or even the INSTEON app on your smartphone.
• Settling in for a noob-owning session? With a single keystroke, dim your lights to 50%, switch on the ceiling fan, launch the latest FPS-even turn on the Red Bull-stocked mini-fridge under your desk.
• If you have Tony Stark-esque ambitions, hook up a Kinect and voice-activate everything on your INSTEON network. Jarvis's posh British accent not included.
If your typing fingers are now itching to get triggering INSTEON actions and reactions, there are only a few simple steps between you and total automation domination:
1) Procure and install the necessary INSTEON components: a SmartLinc or USB PowerLinc module and at least one device module. If you're new to INSTEON, we suggest starting off with one of our bestselling products: LampLinc (2457D2), SwitchLinc (2477D) or OutletLinc (2472DWH).
2) Download and install Mayhem.
3) Download the INSTEON Mayhem package.
4) Get connected! Choose whether you want your INSTEON device(s) to trigger or react to the event-i.e., tapping the SwitchLinc paddle launches your web browser, or typing a particular word turns on your LampLinc-enabled desk lamp-then simply follow the onscreen instructions to link your INSTEON devices in literally three seconds.
5) Enjoy your newfound power over your home domain.
Also, be sure to vote for INSTEON as your preferred Mayhem plug-in. Just click the Facebook "Like" button on the INSTEON Mayhem page to show your support. Happy home hacking!
With its simple installation and setup process and trustworthy communication, INSTEON has become the industry standard in efficient home and building automation. Plug-in and in-wall modules make it possible to add wireless control to any appliance in your home or business without having to hire a contractor. By making every networked device talk to each other via radio frequencies and existing electrical wiring, INSTEON eliminates the need for complex rewiring or a central hub. This allows for rapid inter-device communication with very few delays or drops.
For more information about INSTEON technology and new global product line, please visit www.insteon.com.
Developed in Irvine, California, the award-winning INSTEON home automation product line has over 200 devices from lamp dimmers to thermostats to smartphone apps. INSTEON delivers the fastest, most reliable wireless device communication in the industry with its innovative dual-band and simulcast mesh technology. INSTEON products are available through select retail partners including Smarthome.com, Amazon, NewEgg, Best Buy and Home Depot.
Mayhem was originally developed by Microsoft, and is now a free, open source Windows application brought to you by the Outercurve Foundation. Mayhem is currently in developer preview and is available to download at http://www.makemayhem.com. New and exciting functionalities are added every week, with upcoming add-ons including webcams, Facebook, Arduino and Kinect support. Additionally, the Make Your Own Mayhem contest is an opportunity for developers to create the most unique Mayhem add-ons and win valuable prizes!