– HDMI™ Connectivity, Exclusive EzSet/EQ Automatic System Calibration, XM® Satellite Radio Capability and Many Other Advanced Features Included in Receivers Making Their Debut at CES 2007 –
8 January 2007
WOODBURY, NY – At CES 2007, Harman Kardon announced the introduction of its 7.1 -channel AVR 347 and AVR 247 – along with the 5.1 -channel AVR 147 and AVR 146 – audio/video receivers. All four include HDMI connectivity, and offer an expanded complement of advanced features and connectivity options to set new performance and value standards in their respective categories. Adding to their appeal, the receivers are stunning in design, and complement any home entertainment system.
Following is an overview of key features and technologies in the new receivers, which are being showcased at CES 2007 at the Las Vegas Hilton (January 8 – 11, 2007).
Versatile High -Definition Video and Audio Connectivity
All the receivers include multi -input HDMI video switching, and are capable of passing high -definition video signals up to 1080p through their HDMI and wide -bandwidth component video connections. In addition, the AVR 347 and AVR 247 incorporate DCDi® by Faroudja technology. This Directional Correlational Deinterlacing provides upscaled and enhanced 720p video output from 480i and 480p video sources via the receivers’ HDMI outputs, for superlative image quality.
The AVR 347 and AVR 247 also feature audio processing and signal repeater functionality via their HDMI outputs, and video cross -conversion circuitry, which converts all S -video and composite video sources to HDMI and component video output. All the receivers offer a comprehensive array of digital and analog video and audio connections, as well as including a useful A/V Sync Delay function to compensate for the delay between video and audio signals that can occur in a home entertainment system, in order to ensure exact synchronization of picture and sound.
EzSet/EQ™ Makes System Setup Easy and Accurate
All of these receivers (except the AVR 146) include Harman Kardon’s proprietary EzSet/EQ automated full -range room equalization and system calibration function to simplify system setup and achieve optimal audio quality in any listening room. EzSet/EQ automatically measures the frequency response peaks and dips in the listening room, and applies a precise, compensating equalization curve to achieve unprecedented sonic accuracy. EzSet/EQ also calibrates speaker output levels and delay times.
XM Satellite Radio Capability
The AVR 347, AVR 247 and AVR 147 feature XM Ready®* capability (where available). Once the user connects an XM Satellite Radio antenna module (sold separately) and activates his or her XM subscription, XM Radio stations can be accessed via the receiver’s tuner, and stored in the tuner’s preset station memory.
Harman Kardon Receivers Bring iPod® and Home Entertainment Together
All of the receivers include an exclusive iPod interface, which provides enhanced iPod audio and video playback and control capabilities. When a compatible iPod model** is connected to one of the receivers using ***, the iPod can be operated by the receiver’s remote control, with menus to operate the iPod shown on a TV (or video display) and the receiver’s front -panel display.
Engineered for Exceptional Sound Quality
The receivers are designed to deliver extraordinary sound quality. All feature Harman Kardon’s acclaimed high -current, ultrawide -bandwidth amplifier sections, and their power ratings are stated with all channels driven to provide an accurate indication of their real -world amplifier performance. The receivers utilize Cirrus Logic® CS49510 DSP processors, high -resolution 24 -bit/192kHz audio D/A converters and comprehensive bass -management systems to reproduce movies and music with remarkable fidelity and dynamic impact; all incorporate proprietary Logic 7® audio technologies for enhanced surround sound realism.
In addition, the AVR 347 and AVR 247 offer multiroom versatility and include amplifier sections that can be used in 7.1 -channel mode or switched to 5.1 -plus -stereo dual -zone configuration. The AVR 347 incorporates the A -BUS/READY® system for easy multizone audio connectivity without the need for external amplifiers, using a single Cat. 5 cable to connect a receiver in one room to a Harman Kardon AB 2 or AB 1 amplified in -wall control/amplifier module in a second room.
The Harman Kardon AVR 347, AVR 247, AVR 147 and AVR 146 will be available at suggested retail prices of $999, $549, $449 and $349, respectively. All models will be available in April 2007. The receivers join the currently available AVR 745 (SRP: $3,499), AVR 645 (SRP: $1,499) and AVR 445 (SRP: $1,299) to constitute the industry’s most complete lineup of advanced -technology audio/video receivers for every home entertainment application.
An outline of the Harman Kardon AVR 347, AVR 247, AVR 147 and AVR 146 receivers’ main features follows.
• AVR 347, 7 x 55 watts; 2 x 70 watts in stereo; and �35 amps of high -current capability
• AVR 247, 7 x 50 watts; 2 x 65 watts in stereo; and �35 amps of high -current capability
• AVR 147, 5 x 40 watts; 2 x 50 watts in stereo; and �25 amps of high -current capability
• AVR 146, 5 x 30 watts; 2 x 40 watts in stereo; and �25 amps of high -current capability
o All power outputs rated into 8 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz, <0.07%THD, all channels driven and in stereo; all receivers feature high -current, ultrawide -bandwidth amplifier sections
Audio and Video Connectivity
• Dual -input HDMI video switching (all models) and audio processing (AVR 347, AVR 247)
• HDMI signal repeater functionality to enable longer HDMI cable lengths between receiver and video display (AVR 347, AVR 247)
• DCDi by Faroudja video processing and scaling up to 720p (AVR 347, AVR 247)
o AVR 347 and AVR 247 also provide multichannel digital audio output from compatible HDMI program sources
• Ability to pass 1080p and 1080i signals via HDMI video output
• Extensive array of additional digital and analog video and audio inputs, outputs and switching facilities
• Cross -conversion to component video from composite – and S -video sources (AVR 347, AVR 247)
• XM Ready (where available) with built -in XM Satellite Radio decoder, tuner and rear -panel connector to accept an optional XM antenna module (all models except AVR 146); XM stations are displayed on screen and on the receiver’s front -panel display
• Compatibility with Harman Kardon’s The Bridge for iPod audio and video playback, control and charging
• Multizone/multisource audio capability with iPod playback (using an iPod and The Bridge) and XM Satellite Radio reception in Zone I and Zone II; supplied with Zone II remote (AVR 347)
o Rear amplifier channels are assignable to multizone system (AVR 347, AVR 247)
o A -BUS/READY multizone connectivity and 7.1 -channel -plus -stereo second zone operation (AVR 347)
Automatic Setup and Advanced Audio Functionality
• EzSet/EQ feature with automated system calibration and room equalization (all models except AVR 146)
• Quadruple -Crossover Bass Manager (AVR 347, AVR 247) or Triple -Crossover Bass Manager (AVR 147, AVR 146) allows selection of one of six different crossover frequencies for the front, center and surround speaker groups to yield optimal bass performance
• Exclusive Logic 7 surround -enhancement technology for enhanced sonic realism from matrix -encoded and stereo audio sources; the receivers offer compatibility with popular surround formats
• A/V Sync Delay to compensate for the delay that can occur between the audio and video signals when digital video sources, external video processors or digital video displays are in use
Additional Performance and Convenience Features
• Digital input polling to detect whether audio signal from a program source such as an HDTV cable set -top box is digital or analog, and automatically configure the receiver to provide the required audio output
• Input -titling feature to enable users to customize the receiver’s on -screen and front -panel displays
• Inclusion of preprogrammed and learning (AVR 347), or preprogrammed (AVR 247, AVR 147, AVR 146) remote control
• RS -232 port (except AVR 146) to enable future software and firmware upgrades
• Stunning appearance, with a gloss -black upper panel, a volume control accented by Harman Kardon’s signature blue illumination, and a contrasting silver lower panel
The Harman Consumer Group (HCG) is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of a wide range of high -fidelity loudspeakers, audio and video components, and multimedia systems for use in homes and automobiles, and with computers. The group’s brands include JBL, Infinity, Harman Kardon, Mark Levinson, Revel, Audioaccess and Lexicon.
HCG is a division of Harman International Industries, Incorporated. Harman International (www.harman.com) is a leading manufacturer of high -quality, high -fidelity audio products and electronic systems for the automotive, consumer and professional markets. The company’s stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “HAR.”
# # #
For additional information, contact:
FM Group Public Relations
631 -385 -1304 ext. 402
Harman Kardon and Logic 7 are registered trademarks, and EzSet/EQ and The Bridge are trademarks, of Harman International Industries, Incorporated.
XM and XM Ready are registered trademarks of XM Satellite Radio.
HDMI is a trademark of HDMI Licensing LLC.
DCDi by Faroudja is a registered trademark of Genesis Microchip Inc.
iPod is a registered trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.
Cirrus Logic is a registered trademark of Cirrus Logic, Inc.
A -BUS and A -BUS/READY are registered trademarks of LeisureTech Electronics Pty Ltd. Australia.
*Optional XM antenna module and subscription to XM service required. Hardware and service sold separately. XM service is not available in Alaska or Hawaii.
**Compatible with all iPod models equipped with a docking connector (iPod not included).
***The Bridge is compatible with Harman Kardon 47 Series, 46 Series, 45 Series and 40 Series receivers. Not compatible with earlier Harman Kardon products, or with other brands of audio/video equipment.