Lutron Smart Bridge and App Provides Affordable Mobile Solution for Consumers
Coopersburg, PA (June 1, 2014) - Creating a smarter and more connected home has never been easier. Today, Lutron Electronics, the leading manufacturer of energy-saving, wireless lighting and motorized shades, announced the introduction of the Lutron Smart Bridge and the Lutron app - its smart, connected home mobile solution for the do-it-yourself or do-it-for-me consumer.
This unique product is a wireless bridge and software application that connects Lutron's Caseta ® Wireless dimmers, Pico® remote controls, Serena™ remote-controlled shades, and other third-party devices, while providing convenient home control from any iOS or Android-based smart phone or tablet. The Caseta Wireless system gives consumers the ability to control lights and shades inside or outside the home - either from a remote control or the Lutron app.
"This new solution gives consumers the opportunity to transform their homes quickly, easily and affordably into a smart and connected one," said Matt Swatsky, Caseta Wireless product manager at Lutron. "With the Lutron Smart Bridge and app, we are not just giving them the ability to control their lights and shades, but rather, a reliable, energy saving, long-term investment that also provides peace of mind."
How it Works
The Lutron Smart Bridge, which uses Lutron's proprietary ClearConnect® Wireless technology, plugs easily and directly into a home's Wi-Fi router. Installed and set up in less than 30 minutes, the product sends wireless, radio frequency (RF) communication signals to compatible Lutron devices inside the home.
Lutron Smart Bridge-Compatible Products
1. Caseta Wireless in-wall dimmers control overhead lights and work with the newest energy-saving bulbs, including dimmable LEDs, dimmable CFLs, halogens, and incandescent. They do not require a neutral wire, so they easily replace any existing light switch.
2. Caseta Wireless lamp dimmers plug into a standard wall receptacle and provide control of table and floor lamps that use the newest energy-saving bulbs, including dimmable LEDs, dimmable CFLs, halogens, and incandescent. They are designed to control two lamps simultaneously with dual plug-in receptacles.
3. The Pico battery-powered remote control features a 10-year battery life, works with Caseta Wireless dimmers and Serena shades. It can be used as a hand-held remote, surface mounted to the wall or to a car visor, or placed on a tabletop pedestal.
4. Serena battery-powered, remote controlled shades are available in two styles - honeycomb and roller shades - and run on D-size batteries. The average life span of the batteries is 3 - 5 years (based on two "ups" and two "downs" per day).
5. The Lutron app has a simple user interface to provide consumers with a one-touch solution. They can adjust and check-in on their lights, shades, and temperature from the office, the beach, or anywhere in the world. They can also set up preset scenes for the perfect lighting for their home theatre, dining room, or bedroom.
6. With an integrated timeclock, the Smart Bridge allows consumers to schedule lights and shades to adjust automatically by time of day. They can close their shades 20 minutes before sunset every day, or turn on the front porch light on at dusk and off at midnight every evening.
7. The Lutron app is also compatible with Honeywell® Wi-Fi thermostats (available summer 2014). Consumers can conveniently raise the temperature a few degrees before they arrive home, adjust it to just the right level while they're watching TV, or set it back when they're away. They can also adjust the system mode (heating, cooling, auto, fan on/off) all from within the Lutron app.
8. The telligent™ LED bulb by GE® is embedded with Lutron's ClearConnect Wireless technology and controlled by a Pico wireless remote. The bulb will be available late 2014.
Do-it-yourselfers can purchase the Smart Bridge ($150 suggested list price) starting September 1 on SerenaShades.com. For homeowners seeking professional installation, the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro will be available from local electricians, residential system providers, security professionals and lighting showrooms starting June 30. The Lutron Caseta Wireless package, featuring a Pico remote control with a dimmer (either wall or lamp), has a suggested list price of $80 and is available now.
The free Lutron app will be available on the App Store and Google Play™ on June 30.
Visit www.caseta wireless.com or www.serenashades.com for more information.
About Lutron Electronics (www.lutron.com)
Founded in 1961, Lutron Electronics is headquartered in Coopersburg, Pennsylvania, in the heart of the Lehigh Valley. From dimmers for the home, to lighting management systems for entire buildings, the company offers more than 17,000 energy-saving products, sold in more than 100 countries around the world. In the US alone, Lutron products save an estimated 10 billion kWh of electricity, or approximately $1 billion in utility costs per year. The company's early inventions- including the first solid-state dimmer invented by Lutron's founder, Joel Spira-are now at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington, DC.
• telligent™ is a trademark of General Electric Company
• Honeywell® is a registered trademark of Honeywell International, Inc.
• Google Play™ is a registered trademark of Google Inc.