Wi -Fi Alliance® Releases New Wi -Fi CERTIFIED™ n Product Data: One Year Since Program Launch, Handsets and Consumer Electronics Take the Spotlight
The Wi-Fi Alliance today announced new data summarizing trends from the first year of activity since its Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n testing program was launched.
AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 30 /PRNewswire/ - - The Wi -Fi Alliance today announced new data summarizing trends from the first year of activity since its Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n testing program was launched.
The following data points summarize trends among the more than 1,100 products that have achieved the Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n designation since September 30, 2009 - when the certification tests and Wi -Fi CERTIFIED logo were updated to align with finalization of the IEEE 802.11n standard.
Handsets shifting to next -generation Wi -Fi
• 127 phones are now Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n, accounting for 20% of handsets certified in the last 12 months
Essential technology for the digital home
• 251 consumer electronics products achieved Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n designation in the last 12 months
• Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n consumer electronics include media servers, digital audio systems, gaming devices, and display devices
Increased performance capabilities and more dual -band products than ever before
• Dual -band products, operating in both 2.4 and 5GHz, are on the rise as Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n technology continues to proliferate
o 441 products certified in the past 12 months are dual -band capable
o 143 products can support both 5GHz and 2.4 GHz operation concurrently
Enterprise -grade products: Ethernet replacement becomes a reality
• Enterprise networking vendors are responding to IT managers' demand 802.11n technology for its performance capacity, robustness, and range
o 157 enterprise -grade infrastructure devices achieved the Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n designation since the program's launch
o 115 enterprise -grade access points support operation in either 2.4GHz or 5GHz
Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n is today's Wi -Fi technology
• Market adoption of Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n technology parallels the product transitions illustrated above. ABI Research predicts that about 59 percent of Wi -Fi products sold in 2010 will include 802.11n technology; by 2013, Wi -Fi shipments are expected to be nearly 95 percent 802.11n.
"The number and variety of devices that have become Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n in past 12 months have been tremendously exciting," said Kelly Davis -Felner, marketing director, Wi -Fi Alliance. "From televisions to mobile phones and points in between, Wi -Fi now connects a majority of consumer electronics, delivering the entertainment experiences that consumers crave."
"It's clear that Wi -Fi's integration into virtually all areas of the consumer electronics spectrum continues to expand," said Phil Solis, research director, ABI Research. "At the heart of this growth is Wi -Fi CERTIFIED n, which will continue to deliver the advanced performance these devices require, now and well into the future."
For a list of Wi -Fi CERTIFIED products, numerous white papers, and other information, visit: http://www.wi -fi.org
About the Wi -Fi Alliance
The Wi -Fi Alliance is a global non -profit industry association of hundreds of leading companies devoted to the proliferation of Wi -Fi technology across devices and market segments. With technology development, market building, and regulatory programs, the Wi -Fi Alliance has enabled widespread adoption of Wi -Fi worldwide.
The Wi -Fi CERTIFIED™ program was launched in March 2000. It provides a widely -recognized designation of interoperability and quality, and it helps to ensure that Wi -Fi enabled products deliver the best user experience. The Wi -Fi Alliance has completed more than 8,000 product certifications to date, encouraging the expanded use of Wi -Fi products and services in new and established markets.
Wi -Fi®, Wi -Fi Alliance®, WMM®, Wi -Fi Protected Access® (WPA), the Wi -Fi CERTIFIED logo, the Wi -Fi logo, the Wi -Fi ZONE logo, and the Wi -Fi Protected Setup logo are registered trademarks of the Wi -Fi Alliance; Wi -Fi CERTIFIED™, Wi -Fi Direct™, Wi -Fi Protected Setup™, Wi -Fi Multimedia™, and the Wi -Fi Alliance logo are trademarks of the Wi -Fi Alliance.