HARMAN KARDON® ADVANCED -TECHNOLOGY AUDIO/VIDEO RECEIVERS - AVR 354, AVR 254 AND AVR 154 - INTRODUCED WITH BEST -IN -CLASS PERFORMANCE, VERSATILITY AND DESIGN
- HDMI™ 1.3a Functionality, Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™ Decoding, Exclusive, Easy-To-Use Full-Color On-Screen Menu System Among Advanced Features Included in New Models -
30 May 2008
WOODBURY, NY - Harman Kardon, Inc., announced today the introduction of its 7.1 -channel AVR 354 and AVR 254 and its 5.1 -channel AVR 154 audio/video receivers. The new receivers offer an expanded complement of upgraded features and connectivity options, including HDMI™ 1.3a capability, Dolby® TrueHD and DTS -HD Master Audio decoding, a groundbreaking, proprietary graphical on -screen menu system, an improved interface for iPod® using The Bridge II docking station for iPod from Harman Kardon, and many additional enhancements.
In addition, Harman Kardon is introducing its HK 3490 and HK 3390 stereo receivers, which combine superlative sound quality with flexible operation, including video switching for use in home entertainment systems, and connectivity for portable music players and the iPod.
Adding to their appeal, all five receivers have a distinctively elegant, refined appearance, featuring a gloss -black top panel and a dark graphite lower panel, all accented by soft white illumination.
Following is an overview of key features and technologies of the new Harman Kardon® audio/video receivers.
Ultimate -Performance High -Definition Video and Audio Capabilities
All the multichannel receivers include HDMI switching with three HDMI inputs, offer HDMI 1.3a -functionality, and can pass video signals to 1080p. The AVR 354 and AVR 254 incorporate leading -edge Faroudja DCDi Cinema® digital -video processing that provides upscaled and enhanced 1080p output from all video sources, for extraordinary image quality. In addition, the AVR 354 and AVR 254 are Deep Color -compatible for use with Deep Color -capable video sources and display devices.
All models (except the AVR 154) offer Dolby TrueHD and DTS -HD Master Audio decoding, to deliver the ultimate in high -resolution, multichannel audio realism from these state -of -the -art lossless (uncompressed) audio formats, and from Blu -ray and other high -definition players and discs. All the receivers (except the AVR 154) can process 7.1 -channel PCM audio delivered to their HDMI inputs, and feature HDMI repeater functionality, enabling the use of longer HDMI cable lengths.
Groundbreaking, High -Definition On -Screen Menu System Provides Unmatched Ease of Use
All models (except the AVR 154) incorporate a Harman Kardon -exclusive newly developed high -definition full -color on -screen menu system that utilizes both pictures and text to guide users in setting up their home entertainment system, and in verifying that their components are connected and configured properly. The HD -resolution graphical interface utilizes alpha blending, a technique that allows the menus to be partially transparent and enables the video image to remain visible while using the menus. Complementing the interface's unmatched ease of use, the AVR 354 and AVR 254 feature redesigned backlit remote controls with simplified, yet more flexible operation and a more intuitive ergonomic design.
Enhanced Home Entertainment for iPod with The Bridge II Docking Station for iPod
The AVR 354 includes The Bridge II* docking station at no additional charge. The Bridge II provides enhanced audio and video playback and control capabilities when a compatible iPod model** (not included) is connected. The iPod can be operated by the AVR 354's remote control; operating menus for the iPod are shown on a TV (or video display) and the receiver's front -panel display. The menus are displayed in high definition and offer fast, easy navigation.
The AVR 354 and AVR 254 also offer multiroom audio capability for connected A/V sources, including the iPod. They include multiroom preamp outputs, an amplifier section that can be used in either 7.1 -channel mode or switched to 5.1 -plus -stereo dual -zone configuration, and a Zone II remote control (AVR 354).
Automated, Easy and Accurate System Setup
The AVR 354 and AVR 254 include proprietary EzSet/EQ™ automated full -range room -equalization and system calibration to simplify system setup and achieve optimal audio quality in any listening room. EzSet/EQ automatically measures the frequency response peaks and dips in the listening room and applies a precise, compensating equalization curve to achieve unprecedented sonic accuracy. EzSet/EQ also calibrates speaker output levels and delay times.
XM® Satellite Radio Capability
All of these receivers (except the AVR 154) feature XM Ready®*** capability (where available). Once the user connects an XM Satellite Radio antenna module (sold separately) and activates his or her XM subscription, XM Radio stations can be accessed via the receiver's tuner, and stored in the tuner's preset station memory.
Engineered for Exceptional Sound Quality
The receivers continue the Harman Kardon heritage of uncompromising sound quality. All the receivers incorporate the company's acclaimed high -current, ultrawide -bandwidth amplifier sections, and their power ratings provide an accurate indication of their real -world amplifier performance. The receivers utilize high -speed DSP processors, audiophile -grade 192kHz/24 -bit D/A converters and comprehensive bass -management systems to reproduce movies and music with remarkable fidelity and dynamic impact; all incorporate proprietary Logic 7® audio technologies for enhanced surround sound realism.
Suggested retail pricing for the audio/video receivers is as follows: AVR 354, $899; AVR 254, $649; AVR 154, $399. All models will be available in late spring 2008.
HK 3490 and HK 3390 Stereo Receivers: Ideal for Music and Home Entertainment
Also being introduced are the Harman Kardon HK 3490 and HK 3390 stereo receivers, which combine superlative sound with a host of useful features and a striking industrial design. Both receivers have an elegant and distinctive minimalist appearance with gracefully rounded corners, a gloss -black and dark -graphite front panel, and soft white illumination.
The HK 3490 and HK 3390 incorporate powerful, high current, ultrawide -bandwidth amplifier sections (2 x 120 watts and 2 x 80 watts, respectively, into 8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, <0.07% THD) and provide video as well as audio connections to accommodate a variety of program sources, including turntables. The HK 3490 also offers coaxial and optical digital audio inputs for 2 -channel PCM sources, XM Satellite Radio compatibility and audio connectivity for iPod (iPod not included) using The Bridge II docking station (sold separately), as well as Dolby Virtual Speaker and Dolby Headphone processing to deliver surround sound audio from a pair of loudspeakers or from headphones.
The HK 3490 and HK 3390 stereo receivers will be available in May 2008 at suggested retail prices of $499 and $399 respectively.
Harman Kardon Audio/Video Receivers: Main Features
• AVR 354, 7 x 75 watts; 2 x 75 watts in stereo; and ±35 amps of high -current capability
• AVR 254, 7 x 50 watts; 2 x 65 watts in stereo; and ±35 amps of high -current capability
• AVR 154, 5 x 30 watts; 2 x 40 watts in stereo; and ±25 amps of high -current capability
o All power outputs rated into 8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, <0.07% THD; all receivers feature high -current, ultrawide -bandwidth amplifier sections
Audio and Video Connectivity
• Exclusive, high -definition on -screen menu system (all models except AVR 154) and simplified remote control operation
• Three -input HDMI 1.3a with Deep Color video switching (AVR 354, AVR 254)
• Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS Master Audio capability (all models except AVR 154)
o Multichannel PCM digital audio output from compatible HDMI program sources (AVR 354, AVR 254)
• AVR 354 and AVR 254 provide HDMI repeater functionality to enable longer HDMI cable lengths between receiver and video display
• Faroudja DCDi Cinema video processing and scaling to 1080p (all models except AVR 154)
• Capable of passing 1080p signals via HDMI and component video outputs
• Extensive array of additional digital and analog video and audio inputs, outputs and switching facilities
• Cross -conversion to component video from composite - and S -video sources (all models except AVR 154)
• AVR 354 is supplied with The Bridge II docking station for iPod from Harman Kardon for audio and video playback, control and charging; AVR 254 and AVR 154 feature mini -jack input for portable audio playback
• AVR 354 and AVR 254 offers multizone/multisource audio capability, including audio playback for iPod (using The Bridge II)
o Rear amplifier channels are assignable to multizone system
Automatic Setup and Advanced Audio Functionality
• EzSet/EQ for automated system calibration and room equalization (AVR 354, AVR 254)
• Lip Sync Delay to compensate for the delay that can occur between the audio and video signals in some home entertainment systems
• Quadruple -Crossover Bass Manager (all models except AVR 154) or Triple -Crossover Bass Manager (AVR 154) enables optimal bass performance for all loudspeakers in the main home -theater room
• Exclusive Logic 7 surround -enhancement technology for enhanced sonic realism from matrix -encoded and stereo audio sources; the receivers offer compatibility with popular surround formats
Additional Performance and Convenience Features
• Proprietary Harman Kardon high -definition, color graphical menu system guides users through system setup and automatically verifies when components are properly configured; on -screen menus are partially transparent, enabling video image to remain visible while menus are in use (AVR 354, AVR 254)
• Input -titling feature enables users to customize the receiver's on -screen and front -panel displays
• Redesigned remote controls with simplified operation and control layouts (AVR 354, AVR 254)
• Stunning appearance, with a gloss -black upper panel and a dark graphite lower panel, all accented by soft white illumination
About Harman Kardon, Inc.
Harman Kardon is a business unit of Harman International Industries, Incorporated (www.harman.com). Harman International designs, manufactures and markets a wide range of audio and infotainment products for the automotive, consumer and professional markets, and maintains a strong presence in the Americas, Europe and Asia, employing more than 11,000 people worldwide. The Harman International family of brands includes AKG®, Audioaccess®, Becker®, BSS®, Crown®, dbx®, DigiTech®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson®, Revel®, QNX®, Soundcraft® and Studer®. Harman International's stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "NYSE: HAR."
# # #
For additional information, contact:
FM Public Relations
631 -385 -1304 ext. 402
Harman Kardon, Logic 7, JBL, AKG, Audioaccess, Becker, BSS, Crown, dbx, DigiTech, Infinity, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Revel, QNX, Soundcraft and Studer are trademarks of Harman International Industries, Incorporated, registered in the United States and/or other countries. EzSet/EQ is a trademark of Harman International Industries, Incorporated.
HDMI, the HDMI logo and High -Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.
Dolby is a registered trademark of Dolby Laboratories.
DTS is a registered trademark, and DTS -HD and DTS -HD Master Audio are trademarks, of DTS, Inc.
iPod is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Faroudja DCDi Cinema is a registered trademark of Genesis Microchip Inc., recently acquired by STMicroelectronics.
*The Bridge II is compatible with the Harman Kardon AVR 354, AVR 47 Series, AVR 146, AVR 45 Series and AVR 40 Series receivers, the HK 3490 stereo receiver and the DMC 1000 digital media center. Not compatible with other Harman Kardon products, or with other brands of audio/video equipment.
**Compatible with iPod models with docking connector; including iPod touch and all Click Wheel models. Not compatible with iPod shuffle.
***Optional XM antenna module and subscription to XM service required. Hardware and service sold separately. XM service is not available in Alaska or Hawaii.
© 2008 Harman International Industries, Incorporated. All rights reserved.