Harman Kardon introduces its 7.1-channel AVR 345 and AVR 245 and its 5.1-channel AVR 145 audio/video receivers
14 September 2006
WOODBURY, NY - At CEDIA Expo 2006, Harman Kardon announced the introduction of its 7.1 -channel AVR 345 and AVR 245 and its 5.1 -channel AVR 145 audio/video receivers. The AVR 345 and AVR 245 offer HDMI™ connectivity, XM™ Satellite Radio capability, expanded multiroom functionality and many additional versatile features, and all three receivers are upgraded from previous models to deliver best -in -class performance and flexibility in home entertainment systems and custom installations.
Adding to their appeal, the AVR 345, AVR 245 and AVR 145 incorporate subtle refinements to Harman Kardon's award -winning industrial design, for an even more striking and distinctively elegant appearance. The receivers join the currently available AVR 745, AVR 645 and AVR 445, creating a comprehensive lineup of high -performance audio/video receivers for every home entertainment application.
Following is an overview of key features and technologies of the new receivers, which are showcased at CEDIA Expo 2006 at the Colorado Convention Center, Booth 644, September 14 - 17, 2006.
Extensive Video and Audio Connectivity Options
The AVR 345 includes DCDi® (Directional Correlational Deinterlacing) by Faroudja technology, which provides upconverted and enhanced high -definition 720p video output from 480i and 480p video sources through its HDMI 1.1 connection, for remarkably sharp and clear picture quality that is virtually free of color and motion artifacts. The AVR 345 also delivers multichannel audio via its HDMI output, and the AVR 345 and AVR 245 both include dual -input HDMI video switching.
The AVR 345 and AVR 245 also incorporate video cross -conversion circuitry that converts all S -video and composite video sources to component video output. All three receivers feature three, assignable wide -bandwidth, HDTV -compatible component -video inputs, and comprehensive video and audio connections. Further enhancing their versatility, all the receivers provide an A/V Sync Delay function, which compensates for the delay between the video and audio signals that can occur in a home entertainment system, ensuring exact synchronization of picture and sound.
The AVR 345 and AVR 245 feature XM -Ready®* capability. Once the user connects an XM Satellite Radio antenna module (sold separately) and activates his or her XM subscription, XM Radio stations can be accessed via the receiver's tuner, and stored in the tuner's preset station memory.
EzSet/EQ™, EzSet+® and EzSet® Make System Setup Simple
The new Harman Kardon 45 Series receivers all offer automated loudspeaker calibration to simplify system setup and achieve optimum audio quality in any listening room. The AVR 345's exclusive EzSet/EQ™ feature automatically measures the frequency -response peaks and dips in the listening room, and applies a compensating equalization curve to achieve unprecedented sonic accuracy. EzSet/EQ and the AVR 245's EzSet+® functionality also automatically set speaker output levels and delay times. The AVR 145 offers EzSet® automatic speaker -level calibration.
Harman Kardon Receivers Deliver Enhanced iPod® Home Entertainment
The AVR 345, AVR 245 and AVR 145 include an exclusive iPod** interface that provides enhanced iPod playback and control capabilities. When a compatible iPod model is connected to one of the receivers using ***, the iPod can be operated by the receiver's remote control, with menus to operate the iPod shown on a TV (or video display) and the receiver's front -panel display.
Comprehensive Multiroom/Multizone Functionality
The AVR 345 and AVR 245 offer outstanding multiroom versatility. Both feature amplifier sections with assignable back channels, which can be used in full 7.1 -channel mode or switched to 5.1 -plus -stereo dual -zone configuration. The AVR 345 incorporates the A -BUS/READY® system for easy multizone connectivity without the need for external amplifiers, using a single Cat. 5 cable to connect a receiver in one room to a Harman Kardon AB 2 or AB 1 amplified in -wall control/amplifier module in a second room.
High -Current, Ultrawide -Bandwidth Amplification and Exceptional Surround Sound
The new receivers are designed to deliver exceptional sound quality. All feature Harman Kardon's renowned high -current, ultrawide -bandwidth amplifier sections, and their power ratings are stated with all channels driven to provide an accurate indication of their real -world amplifier performance. All the receivers feature the latest Cirrus Logic® CS49500 series DSP processors, audiophile -grade 24 -bit/192kHz D/A converters and precise bass -management systems to reproduce movies and music with extraordinary resolution, fidelity and authority; all incorporate proprietary Logic 7® audio technologies to deliver enhanced surround sound realism.
The Harman Kardon AVR 345, AVR 245 and AVR 145 will be available at suggested retail prices of $999, $649 and $549, respectively. All models will be available in fall 2006. The receivers join the currently available AVR 745 (SRP: $3,499), AVR 645 (SRP: $1,499) and AVR 445 (SRP: $1,299).
An outline of Harman Kardon AVR 345, AVR 245 and AVR 145 main features follows.
• AVR 345, 7 x 55 watts; 2 x 70 watts in stereo; and ±35 amps of high -current capability
• AVR 245, 7 x 50 watts; 2 x 65 watts in stereo; and ±35 amps of high -current capability
• AVR 145, 5 x 40 watts; 2 x 50 watts in stereo; and ±25 amps of high -current capability
o (All power outputs rated into 8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, <0.07%THD, all channels driven and in stereo; all receivers feature high -current, ultrawide -bandwidth amplifier sections)
Audio and Video Connectivity
• DCDi by Faroudja video processing and scaling up to 720p (AVR 345)
• Dual -input HDMI video switching (AVR 345 and AVR 245)
o AVR 345 also provides multichannel digital audio output from compatible HDMI 1.1 program sources
• Extensive array of additional digital and analog video and audio inputs, outputs and switching facilities
• Cross -conversion to component video from composite - and S -Video sources (AVR 345, AVR 245)
• Connect to Harman Kardon's The Bridge for iPod playback, control and charging
• XM -Ready (where available) with built -in XM Satellite Radio decoder, tuner and rear -panel connector to accept an optional XM antenna module (AVR 345, AVR 245); XM stations are displayed on -screen and on the receiver's front -panel display
• Multizone/multisource audio capability with iPod playback (using an iPod and The Bridge) and XM Satellite Radio reception in Zone I and Zone II (AVR 345, AVR 245)
o Rear amplifier channels are assignable to multizone system
o A -BUS/READY multizone connectivity (AVR 345)
Automatic Setup and Advanced Audio Functionality
• EzSet/EQ feature with automated system calibration and room equalization (AVR 345)
o AVR 245 includes EzSet+® automatic speaker -level calibration and system optimization
o AVR 145 offers EzSet® automated speaker -level adjustment
• Quadruple -Crossover Bass Manager (AVR 345, AVR 245) or Triple -Crossover Bass Manager (AVR 145) allows selection of one of six different crossover frequencies for the front, center and surround speaker groups to yield optimum bass performance
• Exclusive Logic 7 surround -enhancement technology for enhanced sonic realism from matrix -encoded and stereo audio sources; the receivers offer compatibility with popular surround formats
• A/V Sync Delay compensates for the delay that can occur between the audio and video signals when digital video sources, external video processors or digital video displays are in use
Additional Performance and Convenience Features
• Digital input polling detects whether audio signal from a program source such as an HDTV cable set -top box is digital or analog, and automatically configures the receiver to provide the required audio output
• RS -232 port enables future software and firmware upgrades
• Include preprogrammed and learning (AVR 345) or preprogrammed (AVR 245, AVR 145) remote control
• Input -titling feature enables users to customize the receiver's on -screen and front -panel displays
• Striking, distinctively elegant appearance, with a gloss -black upper panel, a restyled volume control accented by Harman Kardon's signature blue illumination, and a contrasting silver lower panel
The Harman Consumer Group (HCG) is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of a wide range of high -fidelity loudspeakers, audio and video components, and multimedia systems for use in homes and automobiles, and with computers. The group's brands include JBL, Infinity, Harman Kardon, Mark Levinson, Revel, Audioaccess and Lexicon.
HCG is a division of Harman International Industries, Incorporated. Harman International (www.harman.com) is a leading manufacturer of high -quality, high -fidelity audio products and electronic systems for the automotive, consumer and professional markets. The company's stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "HAR."
# # #
For additional information, contact:
FM Group Public Relations
631 -385 -1304 ext. 402
*Optional XM antenna module and subscription to XM service required. Hardware and service sold separately. XM service is not available in Alaska or Hawaii.
**Compatible with all iPod models equipped with a docking connector (iPod not included).
***The Bridge is compatible with the Harman Kardon DMC 1000, and 45 Series and 40 Series receivers (AVR 145, AVR 245, AVR 345, AVR 445, AVR 645, AVR 745, AVR 140, AVR 240 and AVR 340). Not compatible with earlier Harman Kardon products, or with other brands of audio/video equipment.
Harman Kardon, Harman International, EzSet/EQ™, EzSet+®, EzSet® and Logic 7 are registered trademarks, and , EzSet/EQ and are trademarks, of Harman International Industries, Incorporated.
HDMI is a trademark of HDMI Licensing LLC.
DCDi by Faroudja is a registered trademark of Genesis Microchip Inc.
iPod is a registered trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.
A -BUS and A -BUS/READY are registered trademarks of LeisureTech Electronics Pty Ltd. Australia.
XM and XM -Ready are registered trademarks of XM Satellite Radio.
Cirrus Logic is a trademark of Cirrus Logic, Inc.