Mobile eXtreme Convergence platform cements Freescale's 3G wireless leadership with a two-year lead on competition
AUSTIN, Texas - Oct. 31, 2005 - Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE:FSL, FSL.B) has unveiled its revolutionary 3G single core modem processor, at the heart of the MXC300 -30 platform, based on the Mobile eXtreme Convergence architecture. Freescale is the first to provide a single core modem for third generation wireless phones - and is the only one to provide a comprehensive UMTS platform including combined baseband and applications processor, RF, power amplifier and power management.
"Freescale is pulling ahead in the race to deliver comprehensive 3G solutions that remove barriers and reduce the risk for handset manufacturers," says Franz Fink senior vice president and general manager of Freescale's wireless and mobile systems group. "The MXC300 -30 platform illustrates our architectural approach to reducing handset design costs while increasing design freedom. Imagine slim and sleek 3G handsets like the 2.5G handsets of today, at the same affordable price."
This single platform can equip virtually any product - an MP3 player, a handheld DVD player or a digital camera - to become a fully functional smart mobile cellular device. Customer implementations have demonstrated that:
- - MXC's simple, clean architecture reduces development time, in turn decreasing complexity, reducing risk and speeding time to market.
- - MXC's shared memory approach and built -in hardware accelerators result in a 40 percent lower power consumption compared to traditional architectures, increasing battery life for power hungry 3G devices.
- - MXC's innovative packaging techniques put the architecture in the size of a postage stamp, literally freeing up more room to design and innovate.
- - MXCs integrated world -class power amplifier and power management technology helps reduce dropped calls and extend battery life.
- - MXC's scalable, flexible roadmap provides the right solution for ultra -low -cost, voice -only 3G phones all the way up to full featured multimedia 3G devices.
Freescale 3G solutions
Freescale delivers a full range of UMTS/W -CDMA and GSM/GPRS platforms and components with a proven software stack, the industry's first single core modem architecture and full portfolio of connectivity technologies. These open, scalable solutions help to reduce risk and cost, speed and ease time to market and create design freedom for handset manufacturers, network operators and third party partners and developers. The MXC275 -30 platform for 2.75G EDGE and MXC300 -30 platform for 3G WCDMA markets are both based on the Mobile eXtreme Convergence architecture. For more information visit: www.freescale.com/MXC
Freescale provides the flexibility to differentiate, cut costs and innovate - it's freedom for 3G. www.freescale.com/3G
About Freescale Semiconductor
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. (NYSE:FSL, FSL.B) is a global leader in the design and manufacture of embedded semiconductors for the automotive, consumer, industrial, networking and wireless markets. Freescale became a publicly traded company in July 2004 after more than 50 years as part of Motorola, Inc. The company is based in Austin, Texas, and has design, research and development, manufacturing or sales operations in more than 30 countries. Freescale, a member of the S&P 500®, is one of the world's largest semiconductor companies with 2004 sales of $5.7 billion (USD). www.freescale.com