New Certification Program Offers Ability to Playback DivX Media Files With Advanced Interactive Features
DivX, Inc. today announced the launch of the DivX Ultra Certification program for consumer electronics devices. The DivX Ultra Certification program will bring consumers a fully interactive, cutting edge digital media experience by enabling next generation consumer electronics devices to support the advanced features of the DivX Media Format.
The new DivX Media Format, introduced in June and supported by leading software companies including InterVideo, Sonic, CyberLink, Pinnacle, Magix and more, enables even novice users to create rich multimedia files with a host of interactive features. Key elements of the DivX Media Format supported by DivX Ultra Certified products include interactive video menus, multiple subtitles, alternate audio tracks, video tags and chapter points.
New DivX Ultra Certified devices will enable anyone to seamlessly playback DivX Media Format files created on a PC, providing an advanced interactive media experience in a highly compressed file 7 to 10 times smaller than MPEG -2. DivX Ultra Certified devices will support playback of all versions of DivX video, including DivX video -on -demand titles, while offering the premium, interactive experience enabled by the advanced features of the DivX Media Format. The first devices bearing the DivX Ultra Certified logo are expected to hit retail shelves in late 2005.
A number of existing DivX Certified partners from across the digital media industry are working with DivX to create DivX Ultra Certified consumer electronics solutions, including:
Consumer Electronics Manufacturers:
* Cyberhome: Leading manufacturer of consumer electronics devices will sell DivX Ultra Certified devices in the European market.
* LG Electronics: Global manufacturer of electronics products will add DivX Ultra Certification to a variety of products.
* Samsung Electronics: A leading manufacturer of consumer electronics will add DivX Ultra Certification to a line of DVD players.
* Thomson/RCA: A leading provider of technology, systems and services to the media and entertainment industries will add DivX Ultra Certification to line of DVD players on display at the IFA electronics show in Berlin, Germany.
* Vestel: Leading European consumer electronics company will create DivX Ultra Certified DVD player and DVD recorder devices.
*Zoran: A leading provider of solutions for applications in the digital entertainment and digital imaging markets adds DivX Ultra Certification to their line of DVD chipset solutions.
Integrated Circuit Manufacturers:
* ESS Technology: Supplier of audio, video, and digital imaging semiconductor solutions for the consumer markets will create DivX Ultra Certified integrated circuit solutions for a variety of devices.
* LSI Logic: A leader in innovative media processing technologies for the Digital Home to build DivX Ultra support into IC products for both encoding and playback for DVD recorders and other consumer electronics.
* Philips Semiconductor Division: Supplier of Nexperia media processors for connected consumer applications, to add support for DivX Ultra
* Sunplus: Provider of IC design and IC solutions for consumer electronics products to support DivX Ultra technology in DivX Certified product line.
"The DivX Ultra Certification program offers a premium, interoperable digital entertainment experience that extends the interactive features of the DivX Media Format beyond the PC into the living room," said Jordan Greenhall, CEO and founder of DivX, Inc.
"By working with leading integrated circuit manufacturers and consumer electronics OEMs as well as software partners building authoring tools that support the DivX Media Format, we are creating a complete ecosystem of digital media products that enable the creation, distribution and playback of interactive, high -quality digital media content, giving consumers the highest level of flexibility and control."
DivX technology is among the most popular and widely used video technologies on the market, with over 200 million global downloads and over 20 million DivX Certified consumer electronics devices shipped worldwide in 2004. That number is expected to grow to 50 million in 2005.
About DivX, Inc.
DivX, Inc. is a consumer -focused video technology company positioned at the centre of multimedia convergence. The company's core offering is the
DivX(r) video codec, among the world's most popular video compression technologies with over 200 million users worldwide. The patent -pending DivX video technology offers DVD -quality at 10 times greater compression than MPEG -2 files, enabling full length films to easily fit on a CD or be delivered over broadband connections. DivX video technology powers a range of applications that span the convergence value chain, from a secure IP -based video -on -demand solution to next -generation consumer electronics products and video software applications. DivX, Inc. is headquartered in San Diego, California.