New Breakthrough Chipset to Disrupt Economics of Low-Power, Low Data Rate Wireless Applications for Automotive, Toys, Consumer Electronics and Building Security Markets
Mountain View, Calif., January 20, 2004 - Integration Associates, a fabless semiconductor company, today unveiled its innovative EZRadio™ FSK (frequency shift keying) receiver/transmitter chipset, which will enable a new generation of low cost, high performance wireless applications for the toy, consumer electronics, automotive, and building security markets. EZRadio is the first to combine a unique Automatic Antenna Tuning technology (patent pending) in a highly integrated RF (radio frequency) chipset, which provides extremely reliable connectivity for low power, low data rate RF communications. In addition, EZRadio includes features designed to extend battery life and enable smaller end -user products.
"EZRadio sets a new standard for RF solutions," said Jean -Luc Nauleau, chief executive officer for Integration Associates. "We believe this chipset will bring robust wireless connectivity to many mainstream products at a very competitive price. This is a significant breakthrough in terms of technology and price/performance ratio."
In a separate announcement made today, Integration Associates also said it has entered into an agreement with Sensory Inc., in which the two companies will co -market EZRadio with Sensory's speech Recognition Synthesis and Control (RSC) chipset. By combining speech recognition and wireless connectivity, voice -activated wireless control will be offered at a price/performance point that is, for the first time, suitable for the toy and consumer electronics markets.
EZRadio can also wirelessly connect products such as home appliances, tire pressure sensors, PC peripherals and smoke detectors, to name just a few. The highly -integrated EZRadio chipset solution enables electronic designers and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to add wireless connectivity to their products with a technology that is reliable, power efficient, and inexpensive.
Key features of EZRadio include:
· Automatic Antenna Tuning (patent pending): eliminates the need for production line tuning costs and ensures optimal RF transmission throughout the product lifecycle. The Automatic Antenna Tuning takes the guesswork out of the design process, does not require an RF engineer to set up, and delivers an extremely robust wireless link.
· Fully integrated on -chip RF features: requires only one external component, the crystal, reducing the bill of material (BOM) and simplifying the design -in process.
· EEPROM and microcontroller modes supported: for simple applications, EEPROM mode allows complete data transmitter operation without requiring a microcontroller.
· Key radio management functions, such as data recovery and timing, performed by EZRadio: does not require a microcontroller to execute those functions. If a microcontroller is needed for the application, a less expensive microcontroller will be sufficient.
· Clock source available: does not require a second crystal if a microcontroller is used.
· Software configurable frequencies: one design for global unlicensed RF standards.
· Fast and reliable frequency hopping: counter interference and multipath fading: 100+ devices can be used in the same environment.
· High impedance loop antenna can be etched directly onto the circuit board: eliminates the need for a more expensive external antenna.
The EZRadio chipset consists of the IA4220 FSK transmitter and the IA4320 FSK receiver. Development and evaluation toolkits are also available.
· FCC and ETSI ISM bands: 315MHz, 433MHz, 868MHz, 915MHz
· Range: outdoors 100+ meters typical, indoors 40+ meters typical
· Data rate: 256 kbps maximum bit rate
Availability/Pricing: The IA4220 and the IA4320 chips are available for shipping. Prices start at under $2 for a complete radio link (transmitter + receiver chipset) in quantity.
About Integration Associates: Integration Associates is a fabless semiconductor company headquartered in Mountain View, California, with offices and design centers in Europe and North America. Integration Associates designs and delivers tested wafers and packaged ICs for Wireless, Modem/Wireline, and Power Management applications for a wide range of systems, from notebook computers to communications networks. For more information about Integration Associates and its products, visit the Web site at: www.integration.com